2

Pain of Extempore

Posted by Unknown on 7:55 PM
'Extempore' - the word was introduced to me after I accidentally made one. I was in Ninth standard when I had volunteered to make weekly environment speech in morning prayer. But, I forgot. I was wandering fearless until one of my friends casually wished me the best of luck. I was stuck and did not know what to do, I could not step back - it was too late, so I decided to do it and I did it and to my surprise was awarded with a warm applause.

My listed topic was polllution, I chose a sub issue - noise pullution and gave few silly examples and made my way through. After the unexpected applause died down (I was still shaking with nervousness), my English teacher approached me and asked, if I would like to represent school for upcoming extempore competition? I asked her what is an extempore, though surprised with my question, she explained. I quitely refused and never made one again.

Extempore, I opine, is sheer injustice to the audiences for they deserve better. Any patient listener has full right to a well researched and through off speech with full presence of mind and concern on speaker's behalf.

The fashion of making on the spot speeches for showing off spontaneity and deep knowledge of subject matter has never been practice among read people. Any famous speaker, who might have in past gave a so called extempore, had always strategically planned for it for days and rehearsed it several times.

So please dear friends, collegues, teachers, class mates, bosses, I beg you guyz do not ever try to make one.. for we deserve better!

And I pray for all of you that you do not have to bear the one too!

|

2 Comments


i really like your extempore story .. . its the description of the scenario that we all must have faced sometime or the other !!! keep it up girl !!

Copyright © 2009 Life, City, Work and Beyond. . . All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.